A special salute to Wanikani students

We know that a lot of Pandanese students learn Japanese at Wanikani!

You are welcome to join the Pandanese community. We know that we are smaller but we have great potential! Feel free to bring your suggestions for our improvement :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thank you for the welcome! ^^
I think a cool feature to add would be ignoring when the user types the wrong input type. IE I tend to fail a lot of cards because I’ll type the pinyin instead of the character meaning & vice versa.

1 Like

Thanks @tyuqiib! Roger that. I added your suggestion to our backlog. Will try to expedite it.

1 Like

Don’t you think using both Pandanese and WaniKani simultaneously can be confusing as the Radical description, Meaning attributed to same words, Tones, etc may differ?

I wouldn’t recommend starting on Pandanese until you’ve mastered all of Wanikani or at least come close to completing Wanikani. When I was studying Cantonese, my professor suggested the same thing for Mandarin: if you’re not at the level of mastery of one language that is similar to another, the transition can be confusing.

One thing I miss from Wanikani are all the Chrome Extensions and other web APIs that could be called from those extensions! I miss having a little icon to tell me when reviews are due. See Wanikani’s APIs and Third Party Apps forum for the examples.

Thanks for your insights.
I am a Malaysian Cantonese, so no issue on speaking Cantonese and using Pleco Cantonese voice to match it back to Mandarin.

Hi, but can you increase the amount of stuff I can learn in one day? Maybe 20? I haven’t got the membership so I don’t know what happens in there. Also, can you give the option to skip the mnemonics for intermediate people? I am Chinese-American and know some Chinese but I read the mnemonics just for the plot. But some people are more unforgiving so yeah. The 2nd thing I said is in Wanikani, and Wanikani doesn’t have the amount of characters to learn per day, except if they ran out. But it can be all the way to 50 (at least for me), so that’s plenty.

Welcome to Pandanese!

I just made it 20. Let me know if this is enough.

skip the mnemonics for intermediate people
Added to the backlog.

The 2nd thing I said is in Wanikani, and Wanikani doesn’t have the amount of characters to learn per day, except if they ran out. But it can be all the way to 50 (at least for me), so that’s plenty.
We tested both methods and came up to the conclusion that the constant and regular tempo bring better results. As in any sport.

1 Like

Okay, I am satisfied with this reply, so thanks! Also I got what you said with a constant and regular tempo, so I’ll be aware of that.

1 Like

Also a late thing to say but thank you for greeting! I didn’t know it was there (probably because I was too focused on the other text).

1 Like