The Pandanese App Launch & Updates!

Hey Pandanese learners, we finally developed and launched the Pandanese app :panda_face::tada:!

After a long process, the Pandanese app is finally available to download on your phone. It is currently available on Appleā€™s App Store.

[Download the Pandanese App] now!

It has the same learning interface as our online version, but itā€™s now available on your phone! Learn and review all your Chinese Hanzi on the go. The app connects to your Pandanese account, so it will automatically keep track of your progress no matter where you are.

Your language-learning adventure starts with just a few taps.

Thank you for choosing Pandanese to be your partner in Chinese language learning. Weā€™re continuously improving our platform, and weā€™re thankful to have you be part of our growing Pandanese family.

Happy learning!

1 Like

Congrats on the launch!
Iā€™ll be trying it out and using it often. Iā€™ve been hoping for this - sometimes when Iā€™m away from my computer I end up forgetting to do reviews :innocent:

1 Like

I hope youā€™re ok with some feedback. Overall the app is great but I ran into some serious issues.

• The checks for correctness are far too strict. In the above screenshot, my answer hello is incorrect because the app expects Hello. I would expect a case-insensitive match.
  • Similarly, spacing checks are too strict. For the reading of 儽儽 I put hao3hao3, which was considered incorrect. It expected hao3 hao3.
  • If I get a review wrong, I expect to be prompted again as part of the review session. Instead, it seems like the failure is logged but then itā€™s not shown again during the review.
  • When inputting text as part of a review, there is no visual indicator at all of whether Iā€™m supposed to be answering a Reading or Meaning. The web app has a label and a color change.

Hi Justin,
Thank you for bringing these issues up. We will takes these into consideration for the next app update. Please keep sending in more bugs when you encounter them.

When inputting text as part of a review, there is no visual indicator at all of whether Iā€™m supposed to be answering a Reading or Meaning. The web app has a label and a color change.

Thatā€™s strange as it appears fine below.

If you do not mind, could you please provide us the iOS/iPadOS version so you can work with our developer to solve this issue?

Hey! Thanks for the reply. I want you guys to have a great app because I want to use it :smiley:

Thatā€™s strange as it appears fine below.

This is a subtle issue. It only appears after youā€™ve begun inputting text.

In this screenshot, am I entering the meaning ā€œsubordinateā€, or the reading ā€œshou3xia4ā€?
The reason this is a problem is because if youā€™ve answered, say, five meanings in a row, then when presented with this prompt you might start typing the meaning immediately without even noticing itā€™s asking for the reading.
Note that even with a visual cue, people will still make mistakes. People are doing that on the web app. An example (and the remedy) is here: Check answer against both meanings and readings

I definitely think this is the least serious issue though, and thatā€™s why I put it last.

If you do not mind, could you please provide us the iOS/iPadOS version so you can work with our developer to solve this issue?

iOS 17.1.1

@justin Thank you for explaining this issue more in-depth. We will defiantly provide an update for a seamless way for a meaning/reading indicator or warning.

Please keep providing us feedback here or email support@pandanese.com if there major issues or suggestions with the app.

Hey Everyone,
Thank for you for all your feedback! Weā€™ve taken your suggestions to make our Pandanese App better.

Hereā€™s whatā€™s included in the update:

• Soft-Matching Answers: Now, closely matched responses count as correct.
  • Enhanced Review Sessions: Cards answered incorrectly will reappear for mastery during the same session.
  • Improved Answer Interface: Now you can see if youā€™re answering thee Reading, Meaning, and Name

Please update the Pandanese App to have a better Chinese Hanzi learning journey.

Want to try the app? Sign up with a Pandanese account first and then click here to download the Pandanese App.

Please continue to provide us feedback here or email support@pandanese.com if there are major issues or suggestions for the app.

Happy Learning!