What interested you to learn Chinese?

Hello Pandanese Friends!

Hope you’re having a Panda-stic day! :panda_face:

We’d love to hear what got you started on learning Chinese :purple_heart:

Share your interesting thoughts with us by commenting down below! Share your stories and make new friends here in our Pandanese community :smiling_face:

Initially it was a interest in East Asia in general starting with Japan through Japanese pop culture (anime, manga, etc). Then I got really into the language and became obsessed with languages in general, so I thought that Chinese might be one of the next ones.

In the next couple of years, I started university, made a girlfriend who is actually from China, and cofounded an East Asia organization for our campus. I have been the president of the organization since, I am now happily married to the girl I met all that while back, and now I’m in the midst of dramatically more intensive study of Mandarin to be able to interact with my spouse’s family and get more involved in the media that she consumes and the culture of China in general!

Truly the story is so much more complicated, with every aspect of it making thousands of meaningful connections with every other of the aspect that makes up the journey I’ve been going through. Looking forward to finally being able to go to the country in the next coming years and solidifying this knowledge into fluency!

1 Like