HI I am Maxim :smile:

Hi Maxim!

Hi I am James

1 Like

Hello, I am Quamh

Welcome Quamh!!

Welcome, Quamh!
My name is Cat
How long have you been studying Chinese, and what language are you working from to learn Chinese?

Hi James,
And welcome to Pandanese! My name is Cat.

Hello CvonD
I’m sorry for typing wrong. My real name is Quang.

I started studying Chinese 3 months ago. I learn from Vietnamese and English

Nice to meet you

Hi Quang!
Are you in Vietnam right now? I am in California. I will be going to Kunming (Yunnan, South China) for 16 weeks next month, and join Keats School, to learn how to speak better Chinese. But I am continuing practicing my radicals with Pandanese, because knowing your radicals is so, so important! I have been studying Chinese off and on for two years now.

Yes; I am in Viet Nam right now, I was in ShenChen 3 month ago. I need to study Chinese because I work in a Taiwan company. May I know why do you study chinese

Chinese will need to be on your resume if you are in the workforce and plan to look for an above-average job in 8-10 years from now. Right now, most people still think it’s a “luxury” to learn Chinese, that it is “exotic.” Not anymore!

Besides the sheer practicality of learning Chinese, China has had such a long, continuous history (tumultuous, yes, but about the same agglomerate of people) that its richness of culture is unequaled amongst living nations. And that is the other pull for me, to study Chinese Art and Culture.

I started Pandanese back in February this year. It has made a huge difference in my ability to remember, being able to start at the radicals and then expanding my learning from there.

I do agree with you. When I work in Chinese, very few people can speak English so I need to learn it. Chinese is actually hard to me. The pronunciation of words are really hard for me to distinguish, and I can’t remember all radical of words too. My target is I can speak with my chinese colleague in six month. I think I can’t study pronounciation and radical in such short time , and determine I need to remember radical first. That is the way I met Pandanese.
By the way, it is impolite to ask a woman her age but I curious. Because when I see your picture, I surprise that an old lady have a desire to learn this complicated language.

哈哈哈哈哈!!Hahahaha! “Old” is pretty funny to me! Last year, I dyed my hair white for a while, to see what I’d look like when I get “old”, and I really liked it! But yes, you’re right, it’s not so much that it is “impolite” to ask one’s age, it has more to do with how relevant it is to a conversation, or to the understanding of what a person is really about.
I am surprised you would have a hard time with pronunciation, since Vietnamese is even more difficult, and both languages rely 100% on tones! (I know, because my sister-in-law, who lives here, comes from Vietnam, and I visited her a few times back when she was still in Vietnam).
I was going to go to China for my job for 18 months, but they chose people who already spoke Chinese first. So I decided that would be the last time something like that would happen, and started immediately to learn Chinese.
I’d say, hang in there, Chinese kids don’t learn Chinese in six months either, and they live there!!! Haha!

1 Like

I don’t think Vietnamese is more difficult than Chinese. We use Latin character and we spell words like Romanian and Italian. In Vietnamese, there are not many words have same pronounciation or similar pronounciation. But in Chinese, I found very much such words.

1 Like

I definitely agree any language with latin characters is so much easier to learn.

2 Likes

The tones and pronunciation, though, sound really difficult, more difficult than American English.

Small change of plans: I will not be going to Keats School after all.

Stay tuned!