Introduce Yourself!

That’s very cool. I also speak Japanese!!

I thought I can understand mostly with Kanji when I was in Taipei(maybe not understand, but at least guess…), but Japanese kanji was not enough to guess most Characters there. At the same time, Radical saved me a lot to imagine Character meaning(Not really sure if my guess was correct though :sweat_smile:). So I like the way Pandanese teach Chinese from Radical. then Characters -> Vocabularies.

i am such a beginner that most of what i can claim is interest and perseverance. However, i am now at the spot where i enjoy looking at a character (in order to write it) and find that I can name some of the radicals… recognize others (might give them my own little name until i learn the real one) and that is most pleasing to me. What is your first language?

thanks for responding; it does help my focus to chat about it a bit; and there is so much to learn from each other. if only to keep at it… lol

1 Like

That’s awesome!!
My first language is Japanese, so it is not that hard to recognize or remember Chinese Character(I hope…lol). I am still learning Radical, so I can’t wait to step up to Characters Vocabularies!!

Of course!! I would like to learn from others, and encourage each other to keep at it. Please check out my progress from here when you have time!!:grinning:

Hi! My name is Liz and I’ve decided to learn Chinese simply because i want to be able to speak multiple languages aside from English and Spanish. Also because I hope that soon i figure out what im majoring, since im a sophomore on college and i feel like it will come in handy if i do study abroad. I eventually also plan to learn Korean and Japanese once I’ve mastered Chinese. Sorry I’m all over the place with my reason.

1 Like

Hi Liz!! that’s awesome. I went study abroad for English when I was in college. It was the most amazing experience in my college life!! :grinning:
I hope you will figure out what you major soon!

1 Like

Thank you!! And me too, im struggling between computer engineering, electrical engineering or International Business but i honestly have no idea. All I know is that I want to go study abroad to anywhere I can.

1 Like

Hi. My name is Sergio. I learned Chinese a couple of years ago and decided to refresh my knowledge of that language. My goal is to be able to hold a basic conversation in Chinese.

1 Like

Hi everyone!

My name is Adrina and I’m from Malaysia.

Malaysia comprises of 3 main races, that being Malay, Chinese and Indians. My mom is Chinese and my dad is Malay so I’m a mix! However my mom was brought up in a Cantonese speaking household so I never got the chance to pick up Mandarin growing up.

However, take any 2 steps in any direction in Malaysia and you are bound to find someone who speaks fluent Mandarin who were brought up in Mandarin schools or Mandarin speaking households. A majority of them are also bilingual/trilingual- who also speak fluent English, Chinese and Malay so I usually can get away with it and not be forced to speak Mandarin (I kinda wished the circumstances did force me a little).

Anyway as Chinese has become more important not only in my everyday life but also prominent internationally, so I decided I should consider seriously picking it up and practice with friends around me.
I’m starting my first Mandarin class next week and have been on my own self-study journey as well. I’m pretty excited to kickstart this journey and find like-minded people with the same goals so say hi!

Hi Adrina!!

I am just curious how different between Mandarin and Cantonese. I’m from Japan, so I can recognize some Characters(not reading though), but Japanese doesn’t have Characters as much as Mandarine does.

Good luck with your Mandarine class :grinning:

Hi Nao-san!!

Nice to meet you! For your question well for one, Mandarin has 4 tones whereas Cantonese has 9! However, I’ve never actually tried reading any Chinese at all so I wouldn’t be able to tell you about the differences in characters. My mom probably wouldn’t be able to tell you as well because a lot of Chinese people here know how to speak the language but not read it at all too unless they were Chinese school educated.

I actually would like to pick up Japanese too in the near future and wondered if you thought Mandarin and Japanese were kind of the same…? Or is Mandarin is a lot harder?

Thank you and good luck with your Mandarin class too!

Thank you for the reply! 9 tones!? that sounds hard to learn :sweat_smile: I see!!

I just started learning Mandarin, so I cannot say much…but at least characters are similar, so I would say knowing Mandarin character helps you to learn Japanese!! In fact, you might be able to guess most of Japanese characters’ meaning!!(Number of characters are way less than Mandarin)

Wow, I’ll definitely try Japanese once I succeed at Mandarin :stuck_out_tongue:
Good luck and hope your Mandarin progress is going well!!

1 Like

Hi everyone!
My name is Rachel, originally from Canada. I am in the beginner stages of learning Japanese Kanji and then decided on a whim to give Chinese a go as well. Not sure if I’m shooting myself in the foot by learning both simultaneously!

I joined Pandanese because I feel that being able to communicate in Chinese is super beneficial. There were many times in my career where I had wished I could understand and speak Chinese so I hope this helps me!

hopefully it does

Hello 你 好. My name is Mein (我叫 Mein) and I joined Pandanese last month (July Cohort). I have recently finished Level 3 and today just upgraded to the Premium plan so I can continue learning.

I believe that Pandanese is the best online resource for learning how to read Chinese with its very logical breakdown of characters, coupled with the dependencies of new cards that won’t unlock until you’ve mastered the needed characters/components, with useful mnemonics. Using the SRS matches really well with my schedule and I have never missed a day of review or learning — except when the wait time is 17-24 hrs which has happened a couple of times.

I love that it slows you down and especially prevents you from biting more that you can chew. Chinese is a very tough language to learn (because it’s so foreign looking to me) but also the easiest (since it has no need for conjugation, plurals, gender).

I’ve never been more excited to learn Chinese. Before, I just wanted to hold a conversation, but now, with Pandanese, I also want to be able to read it! It’s a scary thought and will need a lot of effort, but it will be rewarding!

Hi everyone! My name’s Ben, and I’ve been learning spoken Chinese for a few months (of course, my level is still very low, but I can have a very simple conversation now, at least :slight_smile: )
Although I’ve deliberately avoided studying the characters until now, as I felt that starting off with just listening and speaking would be a more effective approach, I can’t resist tackling the written form for any longer, as it seems so fascinating! Great to meet you all, and hope we can all encourage each other as we make the journey towards competence in Chinese… and beyond! :slight_smile:
@CvonD I was convinced from reading your posts that you were a native English speaker - I always find it inspiring to see someone who’s come so far in their language learning journey! It was certainly worth persevering and bumbling along in your journey of learning English, congrats :slight_smile:

Hello. My name is Anisa. I was in Beijing two weeks ago and I could not communicate. Not even a bit except for thank you. I want to go back and enjoy myself. I love Chinese food and movies. I have a ten year visa and plan to use the heck out of it to see more than Beijing. :smiley:

Welcome ahlaams

what kind of chinese movies?

Hello, my name’s Sarah-Maude (you might have never heard about such a name but never mind). I’m from Canada (from Quebec). My first language is French and I have learned English too. I’m now bilingual but I still like to learn new languages and, since I often watch animes and asian series, I thought it would be nice to learn Chinese so I could watch them and understand without having to read the subtitles all the time. That would be my main goal for now. Later on, I would also like to travel a little. :smile:
(If you know of a good web site to learn Japanese and Korean too, it would be awesome if you could share them with me :blush:)