Anyone still use Pandanese here to learn Chinese

I am new here,it’s really confusing that no update 2024 topics here

1 Like

Hi! I’ve been using this for a few months. I’m a former wanikani user (where I got to about level 10 a few years ago) now trying to learn Mandarin.

Hello. I am also using since a couple of weeks. Used Wanikani for Japanese in the past. Its really quiet here ,

Hey. I’ve been using it for the past 63 days and am loving it! Just unlocked the 4th level today. I wish we users could somehow have more interaction

Merhaba, ben de neredeyse 1 senedir kullaniyorum. Çok memnunum.

Wow!!! That’s amazing. At what level are you?

Hey. How are you? How’s Wanikani? Is it really useful? Should I use it for Kanji?

I am at level 11

Wanikani is great. It is way more mature than Pandanese. There are tons of additional add ons developed by users. Simply a bigger community, more development. I did long time maybe 2+ years while learning japanese and living in Japan.

1 Like

Oh wow! It must be great. Gotta sign up! Thanks for letting me know

Oh so, it’s gonna take way more than 1 year to complete all the levels, right? Wish there was a way to learn quicker. I love Pandanese at their system, but it would be good to have another resource on the side. Do you have any recommendations?

As a former wanikani who came here looking for something similar for Mandarin, I would absolutely agree that if youʻre looking to learn Japanese vocabulary/kanji, wanikani is worth it. I am a dabbler in Japanese for travel (and one period of intense study of it for a few months thinking there was a chance we might move there…alas it didnʻt happen). I liked how kanji challenged my brain and that was my first taste of an Asian language.

Iʻd say itʻs pretty similar to pandanese except:

• more developed UX. Stuff like mixing up the reading and meaning, or when you accidentally put in the reading/meaning for a radical instead of a character, seems to get counted as ʻwrongʻ less in wanikani. And itʻs slightly more forgiving of typos, but part of the reason that pandanese isnʻt - this is tweakable in settings - is that Chinese readings are more compact and thus more prone to typos being legit incorrect answers.
  • better mnemonics. Some of the pandanese mnemonics are great but most of them I honestly ignore completely and personalize my own. When it’s just a sentence with a few bolded words… in my brain that wouldn’t work because I would have to remember which words are the mnemonic. there’s no picture, no image to remember. Whereas with Wanikani I usually used theirs because they worked. I’ll forever think about Mrs. Chou stomping down the street or shake my fist at The Youth.
  • (editing my reply to add) I think the order of the characters between the two is somewhat different. Pandanese seems to be based largely off of character frequency, while wanikani seems to go more by character simplicity. This leads to learning more concrete characters first in wanikani, whereas in Pandanese they’re more abstract. I think the Pandanese way might be more practical for reading, but the Wanikani way is a bit easier. For example I find it much much easier to learn more evocative vocabulary like fire + mountain == volcano than…pick literally any vocabulary word with 之… I don’t think there’s one right way, but wanikani will give you more ‘easy wins.’ I also find it surprising sometimes that pandanese doesn’t order the characters more to ‘build’ on previous learning, for example I’ve learned 出 but not 山 by level 5. The radical was level 1, so I’m not sure why not the character.
1 Like

Thank you so much for taking the time and giving me a thorough comparison! I appreciate it a lot and I definitely agree with your on Pandanese. I really need to try Wanikani! I’m excited! :grinning: